Barrett Technology is a great place to work and develop professionally. The supportive, learning atmosphere is led by seasoned management and competent engineers. We promote from within, investing in our people. Personality and integrity are important at Barrett. The type of person who will do well at Barrett is a team player and a clear communicator. We look for people who are personable, honest, and open to feedback, as well as those who are open to learning new skills, finish tasks in a timely and through manner, and who understand that documentation is an essential component of most tasks.
March 19, 2013
Barrett Technology has Opening for a Software Application Engineer
The Software Application Engineer will be an integral member of a small cross-disciplinary engineering team that is responsible for supporting
and improving upon Barrett Technology's existing line of robotic products as well as developing and integrating future products.
We are looking for a well-rounded individual who excels at software architecture design,
intuitive GUI programming, and personal communication.
The applicant should be able to stay organized and on task, work well with little oversight, and be willing to take initiative and act upon new ideas.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Regularly attend tradeshows and academic conferences worldwide, demonstrating and explaining our products
- Listen to the needs of professionals in new markets and develop application software to demonstrate how effective our products can be in those markets
- Collaborate with mechanical, electrical, and firmware engineers in the development and testing of our robotic systems
- Answer highly technical software-related customer support emails and phone calls on a daily basis
- Update and maintain product user manuals online using feedback from customers and internal engineering changes
- Perform robot installations, support, and training at customer locations
- Perform software project management tasks including scheduling, revision control, and release cycle management
- Compose grant proposals; submit written reports
Required qualifications and proficiencies:
- U.S. citizenship
- BS or MS in Robotics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Proficient in C++ programming
- A passion for designing elegant and intuitive user interfaces
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- An ability to make people feel comfortable with advanced technology by explaining complex concepts in simple terms
- Willingness to travel 6+ weeks per year
- Highly-valued skills include: Linux programming, Subversion, Python, OpenGL, ROS, MATLAB, Simulink
This full time position includes health care and other benefits.
For inquiries please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 617-252-9000 .
Barrett Technology begins recruiting students for summer internships in February and finalizes the interview and selection process by the end of March. Barrett's ongoing partnerships with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Undergraduate Practice Opportunity Program (UPOP) and Olin College of Engineering provide proximity to our Cambridge location and facilitate the selection process. While our summer internship program is open to all, we place a high value on students from local partner schools, based on our ability to engage in campus Career Days, Product Showcases, field trips, etc. throughout the academic year. Summer internships generally run for 6-10 weeks, June to August.