Barrett Technology is a great place to work and develop professionally. The supportive, learning atmosphere is led by seasoned management and competent engineers. We promote from within, investing in our people. Personality and integrity are important at Barrett. The type of person who will do well at Barrett is a team player and a clear communicator. We look for people who are personable, honest, and open to feedback, as well as those who are open to learning new skills, finish tasks in a timely and through manner, and who understand that documentation is an essential component of most tasks.
Software Engineer - Robotics
The Software Engineer will be an integral member of a cross-disciplinary engineering and manufacturing team supporting Barrett Technology’s existing line of robots (WAM, BarrettHand) and its new and ongoing projects and initiatives including Barrett’s P3 miniature motor-controller and Proficio medical robot (www.barrettmedical.com).
The applicant should be able to stay organized and on task, work well with little supervision, and be willing to take initiative and act upon new ideas.
- Assist in the design, development, testing, and release of software for Proficio Interactive Rehabilitation system
- Assist in customer and manufacturing support of existing products including the WAM Arm and BarrettHand
- Collaborate with mechanical, electrical, and firmware engineers to develop and test robotic systems
- Assist in the upkeep and implementation of Quality System tools and procedures including bug-tracking, revision-control, testing, and code-reviews
- Support different aspects of a small company’s day-to-day requirements as needed
- Potential for travel for customer installations and tradeshows
Required qualifications and proficiencies
- U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering
- 3+ years related programming experience
- Proficient in C/C++ programming
- Proficient in a scripting language (Python, Ruby, Bash, etc.)
- Personable, self-motivated, and self-directed
- Highly organized
- Interested in learning new skills and abilities
Highly Valued Skills
- Additional languages and tools including Python, ROS, Matlab, Linux
- Experience implementing effective user interfaces and GUIs
- Comfortable using version control (GIT, SVN, etc.)
- Comfortable working with electro-mechanical systems
- Experience with medical-device software
- Experience working within a quality-controlled environment
This full time position includes health care and other benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Software Engineer”. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Software Engineering Manager
The Software Engineering Manager will manage, support, and provide direction, leadership and mentorship to a group of software engineers. This individual will set short and long-term goals to support the company’s vision, and review and evaluate processes, architectures, and general software needs on a regular basis. This individual will contribute to the development and testing of code, spending approximately ¾ of their effort contributing to engineering development. This position requires a wide range of knowledge in software, robotics, and user-interfaces.
- Oversee all software development and software releases, including in-house test software, customer-facing software, internal libraries, and 3rd-party software
- Select software architectures, computer languages and styles that support company’s goals, customer’s needs, and industry-standard software practices
- Lead, motivate and review software team personnel to achieve research, product-development and quality-system goals
- Oversee and support migration to quality-controlled software including integration of tools to match SOPs
- Coordinate with upper management to ensure company’s goals and the software team’s goals are aligned
- Additional duties as determined by Supervisor and Top Management
Required qualifications and proficiencies
- Engineering Master’s Degree preferred
- 3-5 years in a supervisory position
- 6+ years of software engineering in robotics including control theory
- Proficiency in C++, C, Python and ROS
- Proficiency in Linux operating system
- Proficiency in MS-Office tools
- Experience using software development tools for bug-tracking, review, etc.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
This full time position includes health care and other benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject heading “Software Engineering Manager”. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.